Because even if they're secondary, they're still important...
- Do they provide a sense of place and reality?
- Do they give context to the hero/heroine (h/h), and the story?
- Do they help move the plot forward?
- Do they provide crucial information?
- Do their physical descriptions paint a brief, accurate picture of who they are?
- Do they come across as real, individual people?
- Are there any secondary characters who steal too much attention away from the h/h?
- Are there any unnecessary secondary characters?
- If so, can they be combined with another character, or cut out entirely?