Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Where It Glitters, There's Whiskey

The heroine of my novel is a woman of many layers.  Ava Faraday.  Blues musician.  Amateur gold dredger.  Half-Inupiaq, half-white, and fully badass.  But one of the things I happen to like most about her is that she prefers my drink of choice.  Whiskey.  Preferably bourbon.  And preferably neat.

What are the odds?

Because you really don't need a recipe or a tutorial to drink whiskey neat (although I found one here), I've found some of my favorite whiskey cocktail recipes and posted them here, for your drinking enjoyment.

Enjoy, and know that Ava would be proud of you.

Highball (from AMERICANcocktails)
  Highball glass, ice
  Build in glass:
1 1/4 oz. Bourbon
Fill with Ginger Ale

Boulevard Manhattan (from AMERICANcocktails)
  Cocktail glass, chilled
  Pour into an iced mixing glass:
2 1/2 oz. Bourbon
1/2 oz. Dry Vermouth
1/2 oz. Grand Marnier
2-3 dashes Orange Bitters
  Stir and strain
  Orange slice & Cherry garnish

Old-Fashioned (from AMERICANcocktails)
  Old-fashioned glass, chilled
  Build in glass:
3 dashed Angostura bitters
1/2 oz. Simple syrup
1 Orange slice
1 Cherry
  Muddle contents & add ice
2 1/2 oz. Bourbon
splash Club Soda
Orange slice garnish

Sazerac (my personal version of the classic)
  Old-fashioned glass
  Pour into a mixing glass with ice:
2 oz. Bourbon
1 tsp. fine granulated sugar
2-3 dashes Blood Orange (my preference) bitters
  Coat inside of old-fashioned glass with Absinthe (or Pernod, if you're a wuss)
  Strain in previously mixed ingredients























































No comments:

Post a Comment

What did you think? Love it? Hate it? Either way, I want to hear from you!